Media release | 1 September 2021
Visitors to Sydney cemeteries are reminded to abide by NSW Health orders to protect against the spread of COVID-19.
Cemeteries and Crematoria NSW chairman Dr Stepan Kerkyasharian said cemeteries remain open to the public during lockdown with conditions in place.
“We welcome the clarification of rules relating to cemetery visits by NSW Police and NSW Health, and ask all visitors to be vigilant in abiding by all health requirements,” Dr Kerkyasharian said.
“We appreciate the desire for people to visit the gravesites of loved ones, and for the practices and beliefs of all religious and cultural groups to be respected and accommodated wherever possible.
“CCNSW has been working with cemetery operators, funeral directors and representatives of various faith groups to ensure COVID safe practices are in place at Sydney cemeteries and are being monitored on site.”
If people are visiting cemeteries they need to abide by the public health orders.
These measures are:
- A maximum of two people from different households can visit a gravesite together for compassionate reasons, however a group of people who live in the same household may gather outdoors.
- For funeral and memorial services in Greater Sydney, no more than 10 people can attend, not including those conducting the service.
- Masks must be worn (including outdoors) and cemetery visitors must maintain adequate social distancing.
- Residents should monitor the latest NSW Health orders in force for their area, including restrictions on travel and rules for Local Government Areas of concern.
There are restrictions on where someone can travel to attend a funeral. People living in regional NSW (the rest of the state other than Greater Sydney):
Can attend a funeral anywhere in regional NSW regardless of relationship to deceased.
Can only attend funeral in Greater Sydney (including in areas of concern) if they are a spouse, de facto partner, parent, child or sibling of the deceased person.
People living in Greater Sydney (other than areas of concern):
- Can attend a funeral in all of Greater Sydney (other than areas of concern) regardless of relationship to deceased.
- Can only attend a funeral in areas of concern and regional NSW if they are a spouse, de facto partner, parent, child or sibling of the deceased person.
People living in areas of concern (specified LGAs and specified suburbs of Penrith LGA):
- Can attend a funeral in the area of concern in which they reside regardless of relationship to deceased.
- Can only attend a funeral outside of the area of concern in which they reside if they are a spouse, de facto partner, parent, child or sibling of the deceased person.
Further information on the NSW Public Health Orders is at: NSW Government COVID-19.