The former Bathurst Gasworks site operated from 1888 through until 1979 in conjunction with Orange City and Lithgow Councils. It was leased to AGL in 1979 which continued to produce gas at the site until 1987.
The site has remained relatively unused since 1987 and is held under commercial lease from Crown Lands by a private company.
The NSW Government is investigating the condition of the Bathurst Gasworks site to assess whether there is contamination that needs cleaning up on site, or any structural repairs that are needed.
WSP Australia Pty Ltd (WSP) has been engaged to undertake the investigation works on site on behalf of Crown Lands.
Crown Lands will work with WSP as the investigations take place on site and develop a remedial action plan, if required. The investigations on site are expected to start soon.
Crown Lands will work closely with Bathurst Regional Council to ensure the community is kept up to date with progress on the project.
Negotiations are currently underway between Crown Lands and the private lessee of the site regarding access. Once this is finalised, works will commence.
WSP has been engaged by Crown Lands to undertake a hazardous materials assessment and collect samples of soil and groundwater for laboratory analysis.
The initial site investigations are expected to take several months.
The Bathurst Gasworks has been part of the industrial fabric of Bathurst since 1888 and this investigation / assessment will help inform potential remediation and future uses for the site.
Several site assessments were completed in the late 1990s on behalf of Council. These provided a framework for remediation activities undertaken by Council (with funding assistance from the NSW Environmental Trust) in 2008 and 2009. These remediation activities removed tarry wastes, which presented a contamination risk.
Some of the structures on the Gasworks site have heritage significance. This investigation will assess the condition of the buildings which in turn will determine what remedial measures are needed.