A NSW Government website

Road works on Crown roads


The department is not a road construction authority and we do not construct or maintain Crown roads.

The department may allow a road user to complete small-scale works on certain Crown roads.

Road works on Crown roads generally fall into 2 categories:

  • maintenance of a road in use for access (to deal with general wear and tear)

  • road works to establish access along an unformed road.

If large-scale construction must be carried out, the department will consider if transfer of the road to council is more suitable, so a local council can administer construction according to its standards as the roads authority.

For enquiries about the maintenance or construction of council roads, contact the relevant local council.

Related information