A NSW Government website

Apply for a communications licence


If you are proposing to develop, operate or have an existing communications tower or associated infrastructure on Crown land you’ll need a communications licence.

The department issues these licences to organisations for use of Crown land for communication purposes. Communication tower owners and its co-occupants are required to hold a licence.

The communications licence agreement outlines the responsibility of the licence holder over the term of the licence, from initial granting of the licence, ownership, care and maintenance, rent and payment, indemnity and insurance through to the removal of the structures.

Fact sheets with further information are available on:

In the first instance, it is strongly recommended that once a site has been identified, and prior to formally applying for a licence, proponents contact the telecommunications team to discuss the identified site and seek advice on the next steps for obtaining a licence.

Contact our Telecommunications team via email: [email protected]