Bookmark this page Print page Resize down Resize up

Walking Tracks FAQs

Where can I get a more detailed map?

You can purchase maps through our online order form (PDF, 125.59 KB). Maps can also be purchased through NSW Trade and Investment Book Shop at Maitland, call (02) 4931 6666 or email

Maps are also available to buy at local Visitor Information Centres such as the Blue Mountains, Yass, Tumut, Wagga Wagga.

Discounts are provided on Crown lands trail map kits to wholesale and retail outlets. Please contact the Bookshop for detail on the prices of map kits, postage & handling.

Do I need to book or register to go on this walk?

Individuals and family groups do not need to book for the walk, however large groups such as School groups should be registered via Please provide contact details, basic itinerary, dates, number of students or people and teachers or leaders. Bookings are recommended for larger campgrounds on the Great North Walk and Hume and Hovell Walking Track, especially in peak periods (refer to your map kit for contact details). You should always inform a responsible person of your walking itinerary.

Is there mobile phone reception on the walking tracks?

Phone reception varies greatly on tracks and is not guaranteed. Closer to larger regional areas mobile service may be available on sections of the track which pass over elevated positions. Please see the Walking Safely Page for important safety tips

Bushfire Safety

Please check local conditions before embarking on a walk at as on days of total fire bans walking tracks leading through bushland are closed.

What facilities are at the campgrounds?

Pit toilets, fireplaces, covered picnic tables and untreated rainwater tanks are available at some camps where streams are not located. There are also many rest sites with no facilities on the tracks, these areas are in cleared sections.

There are fireplaces provided at the campsites on the Hume & Hovell and Great North Walk Tracks which can be used, providing the area is not in a high fire danger period. Walkers should check local conditions before walking and if in doubt, play it safe and do without a fire. Note if a Total Fire Ban is in place for the region then walking tracks will be closed.

Camp fires in general are not permitted anywhere on the Six Foot Track. It is requested that all walkers carry and use a portable fuel stove only. If there is a total fire ban in place, the track will be closed and walkers should not enter the track.

Can I get water and or provisions along the way?

In many locations the tracks are located close to streams or lakes so only a short diversion is required to obtain water. Untreated water is available at most campsites with the exception of campsites along the Berowra/Somersby track on the Great North Walk and Browns Creek and Tin Mines on the Hume and Hovell Walking Track.
Rainwater available in tanks is not monitored and needs to be treated or boiled before drinking, preparing food or cleaning teeth. Water availability is not always guaranteed and depends on seasonal conditions. It is advised you carry drinking water with you.

back to top